BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 25, 2008

What Memorial Day Means To Me....

In our family Memorial Day has always been a time of reflection and remembrance. Of course we would get together with our extended family and have a wonderful picnic. In fact recently my uncle Mike and I were reminiscing about my grandmother's menu; Fried Chicken, Potato Salad, Three Bean Salad, Corn on the Cob, and Potato Chips. We'd play games and visit. Then we would go and visit the family plot. At this time my grandmother would take the grand kids and give us a history lesson and tell us stories of our ancestors. What great memories!
************
Because of this tradition I have a strong feeling about how I shall celebrate this day. I shall remember why I have the freedoms I do. It is because of the young soldier that put his life on the line so that we all can enjoy such wonderful freedoms. It is the soldier that serves the flag that gives me the freedom to be so blessed. Although we hope they all come home safely at times its just not so. At that time it is the flag that drapes their coffin in honor.
************
So many of my family members have served. My grandfathers, my father, my uncles, my brother in law, and my father in law. All of my life there was always someone in my family serving our country. Even now I have a cousin and a sister in law serving our country and I pray everyday that they return safely. They have put their lives on the line to show their love for our country. Isn't it my duty to take at least one day of my life to show my appreciation for the men and women who have given so much?

4 comments:

heather said...

Well said! I am thankful for all of those that have served and are serving our country. My grandpas and father also served. It's great to be enjoying the freedom that they fought for. I will always remember, especially on Memorial Day.

Carrie said...

Very well said! Our freedom isn't free...
We flew our flag proudly outside yesterday!

Veronica said...

Yo! Where's a new post? We want to see how you guys are doing :) The baby is almost here...

Shelly Hanson said...

Update Sister!!!